Decoding: Straddle Bet In Poker
If you’re a beginner in the poker space, chances are that you’re still not 100 percent sure about the terms and lingo of the game. But you’re passionate about poker and are willing to learn every aspect of the game and we are here to acquaint you with poker terms, slang and more. In the process of your learning, you might have come across the term ‘Straddle Bet.’ Maybe you saw it in those live poker videos on YouTube or just heard someone mention it in a game. If you’re completely clueless as to what it is, read below to broaden your spectrum of poker GK.
What is a Straddle Bet?
Straddle betting in poker is an optional blind bet, i.e. when an extra bet is placed before the cards are dealt to the players. The size of the bet is usually double (2x) the big blind (BB). However, the size of the bet can vary as there are many variations of straddle in poker.
How is straddle bet placed?
- The player seated to the left of the BB is normally the one with the option to place a straddle bet.
- The straddle bet can only be announced before the cards are dealt and not after.
- The size of the straddle bet is normally double the big blind. Eg: In a no limit game with INR 10/20 stakes, a straddle bet would then be INR 40.
- The one who places the bet or the ‘straddler’ is given another chance to look at their card and make a decision to check/fold/raise based on it.
Types of Straddle Bets
- The Under-the-Gun (UTG) Straddle: Here the UTG player (player to the immediate left of the BB) is required to place the straddle bet before the cards are dealt. This is the most common straddle bet in poker and is the one that is normally followed.
- The Mississippi Straddle: Here any player on the table has the option to straddle but only if they do it before the cards are dealt. The player who places the bet is the last one to act before the flop opens.
- The Un-Capped Straddle: An un-capped straddle means there is no limit to how much players can bet. It does not follow the 2x BB rule and lets players bet as much as they want or can afford to. This type of straddle is mainly followed in high cash games.
- The Button Straddle: This type of straddle is given more importance over the UTG straddle, as a game cannot have more than one straddle. The player with the button makes the bet. But, this type of straddle bet is a confusing one as the order of playing gets messed up.
There are many poker players who either support or stand against this type of betting. More conservative players feel that this type of betting makes the game of skill look like a game of luck. But for players who like to be a little more aggressive, find it to be an exciting way to play while ensuring a maximum pot.
For more helpful and interesting content on poker and other card games, keep reading GutshotMagazine.com.
Gutshot Poker Dictionary – Under the Gun
Gutshot Poker Dictionary – Sandbagging
Gutshot Poker Dictionary – Chip and a Chair