Famous poker players become an integral part of the game for enthusiastic poker players. Specific television show episodes in which they were featured and qualities that made them stand out from the crowds are things that remind us of them. Some of these players have travelled other paths that took them away from the game while some have died. Either ways, we miss them at the poker table and wish that could be part of the game again.
1. Amir Vahedi: An Iranian professional poker player, born in Iran, who won a World Series of Poker bracelet at the 2003 WSOP. Before becoming a war refugee and immigrating to the US, Vahedi served in the Iranian army during the Iran- Iraq War. He was one of Ben Affleck’s early poker tutors. Vahedi dies at the age of 48 due to possible complications of diabetes on 8th January, 2010. He won $3.250,000 in live tournament play during his lifetime.
2. David Ulliott: He is known by the nickname Devilfish. David was an English professional gambler and poker player. He went on to become a WSOP bracelet winner and also a mainstay of televised poker. He was known for wearing orange-tinted sunglasses, a sharp suit and gold rings reading Devil or fish which he made himself. Ulliott was diagnosed with colon cancer in February 2015 and he died on 6th April 2015 at the age of 61.
3. Sam Simon: Simon quietly amassed the list of poker accomplishments. He won three no-limit hold’em tournaments, totalling more than $100,000. His winnings on the felt paled in comparison to the wealth he accumulated via his TV work even though poker was a serious hobby for him. After finding out that he had cancer, he gave away almost everything he had. “Simpsons” co-creator and poker enthusiast Sam Simon passed away after a three-year battle with colon cancer at the age of 59.
4. Chad Brown: Chad was the presenter of the Ultimate Poker Challenge television series. He has won one of the biggest online poker tournaments in the 2006 World Championship of Online Poker $5,000 H.O.R.S.E. event. He was diagnosed with lip sarcoma and had a ten pound tumour removed from his abdomen Brown resumed his poker career despite having the rare cancer. He died on 2nd July 2014, at the age of 52.
5. Johnny Moss: He was a gambler and professional poker player. He was the first winner of World Series of Poker main event. He was given a nickname “The Grand Old Man of Poker”. A book called Champions of Champions, written by Don Jenkins is an authorized autobiography on Moss. He died on 16th December 1995 at the age of 88. He played at every WSOP from 1970 through 1995, and during his career he won nine WSOP bracelets.
Stay tuned for more ‘Poker Gyaan’.
Check out our online poker rooms section, where you can read reviews on the biggest and best poker rooms in the country, while also taking advantage of their bonuses and promotions. Check out these top poker rooms HERE.
Signup with "GUTSHOT" and get $2 FREE
Offer: 200% bonus up to $1,000 or $100 in instant rewards on first deposit
Sign-up with Gutshot
Offer: Get ₹100 FREE
Sign-up code: GUT100
Offer: Get ₹50 FREE Bonus
Offer: Get ₹50 Sign-up Bonus FREE
Sign-up code: NA
Offer: Get up to 50% Rake Back on PLO Tables
Offer: Deposit ₹100 using code 'SHIP200' & Get Up To 200% Bonus
Sign-up with code "GUTSHOT"
Offer: Welcome Bonus - 100% upto $600
100% Bonus On 1st Deposit
Offer: Use Code: GUTSHOT
Sign Up and Get ₹1000 FREE (₹250 Instant)
Sign-up with "GUTSHT"
Offer: Get FREE Rs.100 (50 Instant & 50 Locked)
Sign-up with code PHGUTSHOT
Offer: Get 100% Bonus on First Deposit using code GSFTD
Use code: WELCOME1000
Offer: Get ₹1000 Bonus
Sign-up with "GUTSHOT"
Offer: Get FREE Rs.100
Use Code: GSMAG
Offer: Sign Up And Get ₹100 FREE
Use code GUTSHOT
Offer: Sign up and get ₹50 FREE
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE